What To Do In Case of an Accident
According to the National Safety Council, one in every eight drivers will be involved in a motor vehicle accident this year. That may mean you! Are you prepared? Would you know what to do and what questions to ask? Here is a list of 12 easy steps to remember:
1. Stop your vehicle if it is clear, safe and legal.
2. Move the vehicle out of the traveled roadway, if it is clear, safe and legal. (In some states it is against the law to move the vehicle from the place where the accident occurred. Check the ordinance in your area.)
3. Turn off the ignition of the cars involved.
4. Make a first aid check of all persons involved in the accident.
5. Call the police and, if necessary, emergency medical services.
6. Mark the scene of the accident with flares or retro reflective triangles.
7. Gather the names of all persons in the motor vehicles and people who witnessed the accident. Also, you may want to print a copy of this Accident Report Form and keep it in your glove box as a reminder.
8. Make a quick diagram of where the vehicle occupants were seated and indicate the vehicles’ direction of travel and lane. Also note the date, time and weather conditions. If you have a camera, take lots of pictures. You’ll never know how much they may help you later and you can’t have too much information.
9. Ask to see the other driver’s license and write down the number.
10. Exchange insurance company information. DO NOT discuss “fault” or make statements about the accident to anyone but the police.
11. Get a copy of the police report of the accident from the local precinct.
12. Call Autosquare Collision Center! We’ll take good care of your vehicle, deal with your insurance company, get you a rental car if you need one, and do everything we can to help you through this unfortunate accident.